What is VPS hosting?
A Virtual Private Server or VPS is a virtual machine that is housed in a physical computer which runs its own operating system. Since it is running its own operating system, it operates independently from other virtual spaces that also exist in the same computer and gives clients their own virtual private space. Being virtual, the server does not physically exist but is rather software defined and configured. Each server operates independently from the others while co-existing in the same computer, giving clients full control over their server space including the decision of the operating platform and applications to use.
What features should I look for in a VPS hosting provider?
To fully enjoy the benefits of VPS hosting, you should be on the lookout for a few salient features that a good VPS hosting provider should offer. Among these are:
- Reliability – A good VPS hosting provider should have a good track record in terms of uptime reliability.
- Server Security – Be sure that your provider assures you of stringent security programs and policies for their servers.
- Standard top-of-the-line hardware – Among the top considerations for a good VPS provider is the hardware where your virtual private space is housed. It should include a top-of-the-line CPU, a dedicated RAM and a sizeable storage area.
- Customizability – A good should be easily customized to fit your needs and requirements.
- Affordability – As VPS is like a hybrid between a dedicated server and a shared server, a good VPS plan should not be able to deliver you the freedom and power of a dedicated server but with a price that it comparable to that of a shared server.
- Freedom and Control – An ideal VPS account gives owners the freedom and control over their own private space, with the decisive power on the operating system and the applications that he wants to install and use.
- Individual gateway – It should offer Individual Web, POP, FTP, IMAP servers and SMTP gateway.
- A sound and reliable technical support – Although VPS account owners are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their servers, a good VPS account host should be able to provide a sound technical support when and if it is needed.
How to choose a good VPS plan?
There are many VPS hosting plans that are offered in the market today. The important question is which VPS plan should you choose and from which company. To be able to choose a good VPS plan, there are three important aspects that you need to consider and these are:
- VPS hosting type – the very first thing that you need to consider is what VPS hosting type you need whether unmanaged, partially managed or fully managed. Be aware that that not all providers specify their plan types. Different types mean different levels of support from the provider at different price levels.
- VPS hosting plan price – Plan prices differ according the features that each plan offers. Look for a plan that meets your needs and see to it that it offers the most value for your money. It may be cheap but it lacks the features that are essential for your business.
- VPS hosting features – Look for providers that offer you important features that will help your website especially bandwidth and disk space as well as control panels, CPU, RAM, uptime guarantee and backup features.
Is VPS hosting only for Windows servers?
VPS hosting providers offer VPS plans both for Windows and Linux, depending upon your choice of platform. Whether you prefer Windows or Linux won’t matter as it is sure that you will be able to select the right plan and provider for your needs.