What is VPS Hosting?
A VPS or Virtual Private Server is a virtual machine that runs its own operating system housed in a physical computer that allows clients a private space of their own with superuser-level access. Being virtual, your server does not physically exist but is rather software defined and configured. It functions much like a dedicated physical server, the difference being that a single physical computer may run a number of virtual private servers side-by-side, each with a different operating system if needed. Although its set-up is like that of a shared hosting environment as it is housed in a single machine, it allows users the use of far more resources. As each server operates independently from the others while co-existing in the same computer, clients can exercise full control over their server space including the decision of the operating platform and applications to use.
What are the advantages of VPS hosting?
VPS hosting brings a lot of advantages to its clients. Some of it are the following:
- Full control – VPS clients enjoy full root access and full control of their server much like dedicated hosting. This means that you are allowed to do almost anything you want to do your server and the sole decision over the operating system platform and the applications you wish to install.
- Better Performance – As each virtual space functions independently from the others, VPS hosting assures better performance and better uptime compared to shared hosting servers.
- Cost Effectiveness – Although it works at par with dedicated servers, it costs much less compared to it. Its price maybe comparable to shared hosting servers but it works much better.
- Flexibility and scalability – You can decide on upgrades like memory and bandwidth upgrades. It also allows you to change the configuration of your server and remove the control panel and install a new one. It is easily scalable to suit your needs, meaning you may start with the minimum amount of resources and have it gradually increased to accommodate your growing needs. In fact, many VPS plans can be customized to meet your specific needs so that you need to pay only for what you want.
- Security and Privacy – You do not need to worry about security issues and other malicious activities from other servers sharing the same computer as you are completely independent from them. Additionally, you control your own server, meaning you have the control over what activities you allow into your server.
- 24×7 support – almost all hosting companies provide a 24×7 professional customer support which can be relied upon should anything wrong happen to your server.
What are the disadvantages of VPS hosting?
Although VPS brings about a lot of advantages to its clients, it also has its own share of disadvantages. The following are the most common disadvantages of VPS hosting:
- More responsibility – It is your sole responsibility to keep your server up-to-date and running.
- It requires a sound technical knowledge – As you need to maintain the server yourself, you must have a sound technical knowledge in installing the required software and software patches, resolving security issues.
- Fewer and Limited resources compared to dedicated servers – Although you work independently from the other servers, you are allotted your own separate package and resources which simply means that you share what is available from a single physical server. This limits the resources that are available for you unlike in dedicated servers where you have all the resources to yourself.
Does VPS offer other choices aside from me fully managing my server?
Although standard VPS plans require you to personally manage your server, other hosting providers also offer semi-managed services and fully-managed services where the web host handles the maintenance of your server at an added cost.