What is VPS Hosting and how does it work?
VPS stands for Virtual Private Servers. In a VPS environment, several websites are hosted on the same server but unlike in a shared hosting environment, each website in a VPS is fully independent as if it is being operated on its own server.
To better understand how a VPS work, think of an apartment. Each virtual server is like an apartment suite. You are given the privilege to install any kind of software in your virtual server without affecting the other users of the machine.
A problem with one of the websites on a shared hosting environment might affect the other websites on the server. This problem would not occur in a VPS machine since the other containers will not be affected by the problematic website.
Benefits of a Virtual Private Server
Below are the benefits that a Virtual Private Server has:
- A Virtual Private Server gives the web hosting clients a balance between the power and the control in a dedicated
- The price of the services of the VPS provider comes at a much costly price compared to shared hosting but is fairly justified by the kind of quality service you will be getting. Their services are at a very reasonable price.
- The Virtual Private Servers gives the professional web developers and web hosting resellers a great avenue in optimizing the investments in web hosting.
- A Virtual Private Server offers services like that of a shared hosting provider and a dedicated server. The hardware in a VPS is being subdivided into a number of isolated containers.
- Each virtual container of the hardware has its own corresponding server software, mail server and independent services.
- In a VPS environment, the risk of compromise is being reduced since you do not share applications and resources with numerous users in the same container.
Disadvantages of VPS Hosting
All web hosting has its own advantages and disadvantages and VPS is not exempted. The following are the disadvantages of a Virtual Private Server:
- In some VPS setting, the clients share software components. With this setup, you will have no control in configuring settings for your server since there are other clients on the VPS.
- Another concern in VPS hosting is security. There is the risk in security since you still share with other clients on a server. You should have knowledge in securing your data especially the highly confidential ones.
Features of a good VPS Hosting
When you plan to purchase the services of VPS Hosting, you need to be informed of the features that VPS providers offer. Among these are as follows:
- Web and mobile server management
- Hardware failure protection
- Live migration
- Free SQL Express
- Great Memory and processing power
- Responsive 24/7 Technical support
Why purchase Virtual Private Servers?
VPS is great to use since it is an intermediary between the shared hosting and dedicated hosting services. A VPS will give you the power, efficiency and flexibility of a dedicated hosting service but with a reasonable and affordable price of a high-end shared hosting provider.
The Virtual Private Server is great for clients who are seeking other options of web host providers for the growth of their websites but at the same time cannot afford the services of a dedicated server.
There are VPS that are dynamic meaning that it can be changed while loading or running. These are called the cloud servers. The attributes that a cloud server has are as follows:
- You can add hardware resources like the CPU and RAM during runtime.
- A server can be transferred automatically to another hardware while it is still running